Pre-K Registration Continues Through Summer

June 17, 2003
Montgomery County Public Schools (MCPS) is continuing the registration period for both the Head Start pre-kindergarten program and the MCPS pre-kindergarten program for income-eligible children who will be four years old by October 31, 2003.

The Rocking Horse Road Center at 4910 Macon Road in Rockville will continue to accept registrations throughout the summer months. Registrations are taken on weekdays, except for Friday, between the hours of 9:00 a.m. and 4:00 p.m.

Following are additional opportunities to register:

Rocking Horse Road Center
Thursday, June 26, 2003
4:00 p.m.-7:30 p.m.
Thursday, July 17, 2003
4:00 p.m.-7:30 p.m.
Thursday, August 7, 2003
4:00 p.m.-7:30 p.m.
Saturday, July 12, 2003
9:00 a.m.-3:30 p.m.

Westfield Shoppingtown, Wheaton
Tuesday, July 1, 2003
Kid’s Club (in the Food Court area), 6:30-7:15 pm
Friday, July 25, 2003
Community Circle (near the Target store), 10:00 a.m.-3:00 p.m.

There also are a limited number of openings for three-year-old Head Start eligible children born in 2000. In addition, limited Head Start full-day/full-year, three- and four-year-old openings are available for children whose parents receive Working Parents Assistance or Purchase of Care. In addition to preschool education, Head Start provides a comprehensive family program including health, social services, and parent involvement opportunities. Free lunch and transportation are provided.

All pre-kindergarten registrations require the following documents:

§ Total combined household income verification. [2002 W-2 and 1040 statements with one current pay stub; if not available, then three current paycheck stubs, or notarized letters from employers for each job and each person employed, and additional sources of income including child support, Temporary Cash Assistance, rental income, etc.]

§ Acceptable proofs of Montgomery County residency. If homeowner, copy of current property tax bill. If renter, copy of current (less than one year old) lease. If lease is more than one year old, copy of lease and a current utility bill. If living in shared housing, notarized MCPS Form 335-74: Shared Housing Disclosure and either a copy of the current property tax bill of homeowner, or copy of lease of renter with whom student and parent are living.

§ U.S. birth certificate or U.S. passport. Children who are not citizens of the U.S. must first register with the International Student Admissions Office. Call 301-230-0686 for an appointment.

§ Child’s Social Security card and photo identification of the parent/guardian.

§ Name, address, and telephone number of the child’s child care provider.

For further information, contact the Head Start/Pre-Kindergarten Unit at 301-230-0676.

<<Back to browse